October 13, 2012 All day
The inaugural Day of Learning for Life Raft Group Canada’s (LRGC) members on Saturday October 13, 2012 was a great success! In addition to the valuable opportunity for LRGC members to meet each other & share experiences, it was also an important day for learning about current GIST diagnostic, treatment & research approaches directly from GIST specialists. LRGC’s President, David Josephy, & Vice-President, Lynn Burrows, also gave reports on our activities over the past year.
- LRGC Vice-President’s Report October 2012 [fac_icon icon=”file-pdf-o”]
- LRGC President’s Report October 2012 [fac_icon icon=”file-pdf-o”]
We are extremely grateful to our guest speakers for attending our Day of Learning and sharing their valuable knowledge, experience and kindness with us. Each presenter interacted with the group in a way that invited questions, dialogue & personal experiences to be shared & addressed.
There were 4 presentations as follows:
- GIST Drugs: Mechanisms and Molecular Targets [fac_icon icon=”file-pdf-o”] by David Josephy, PhD, Professor, University of Guelph
- The Evolution of Drugs Through Stages of Clinical Trial [fac_icon icon=”file-pdf-o”]by Caroline Koch, PhD, Medical Advisor, Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- Medical Management of GIST [fac_icon icon=”file-pdf-o”] by Dr. Yoo-Joung Ko, Medical Oncologist, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Surgical Interventions for GIST: What it means, how it works, and ways to prepare by Dr. Calvin H.L. Law, Gastrointestinal Oncology Surgeon, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.