GIST Sarcoma Life Raft Group Canada is pleased to announce that registration is now open for the GIST Day of Learning in Vancouver. This is a one-day conference that provides education and support for people who have GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumour), which is a soft-tissue sarcoma that can occur anywhere along the GI tract. The Day of Learning will cover many aspects of living with and understanding GIST and provide an update on investigational new drugs being evaluated in clinical trials for GIST. It will also provide a great opportunity to connect with other GIST patients, caregivers and the presenters.
The Day of Learning is open to people who have GIST, family members, caregivers, healthcare providers and anyone who wishes to learn more about GIST. There is no charge for attending the GIST Day of Learning.
Our keynote speaker is Dr. Michael Heinrich
Dr. Heinrich earned his medical degree from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore and completed both his residency training and fellowship in hematology/medical oncology at Oregon Health & Sciences University (OHSU). Dr. Heinrich’s research, like much of the work at the Knight Cancer Institute, revolves around a basic, yet complex premise. You have to understand what is broken in order to fix it. That’s why Dr. Heinrich is intently focused on identifying the molecular targets that cause cancer, which is essential to the development of better and less toxic therapies. He is recognized internationally for groundbreaking research discoveries that have improved care for patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors, and his research has implications for many types of cancer.
This all-day conference will include:
- 6 educational sessions including Q & A
- Lots of opportunity to mix and mingle
- Continental breakfast, lunch and refreshments
Click here to register now!
Download and print this one page info sheet to share.
Saturday April 27, 2019
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Best Western Chateau Granville Hotel
1100 Granville St,
Vancouver, BC V6Z 2B6
We have reserved a block of hotel guest rooms for GIST Day of Learning attendees at the special group rate of $149.00 per night.
Rooms must be booked by March 27, 2019 to get this special rate.
Please contact Life Raft Group Canada for details.
Our speaker list is growing and also includes:
- Dr. Xiolan Feng, Medical Oncologist, BC Cancer – Victoria
- Jim Baker, VP Corporate Affairs, Blueprint Medicines, Cambridge, MA
- David Josephy, President, Life Raft Group Canada
- Hazel McLeod, Director, Life Raft Group Canada
- Archibald Rodrigues, Director, Life Raft Group Canada
Topics that will be discussed include:
- The biology of GIST
- The importance of mutational testing in GIST
- Treatment of advanced GIST
- Your GIST journey – A round-table discussion
- Clinical trials for GIST
- Avapritinib program update for GIST patient & caregiver community
Contact Malcolm Sutherland
We gratefully acknowledge our sponsors.